Sunday, April 05, 2009

Race Report

So yesterday was the big day!
Zooma Austin, Women's Racing Series Half Marathon!
I had an added bonus and wonderful surprise when my dear friend Alma decided on Thursday, what the hell, I'm going to do it with you! AH! Whooppie! Exciting. So with online registration closed she headed up to Austin Thursday after work, registered and picked up both of our packets. Sweet! So we made plans to meet up and ride together! DH was also excited he didn't have to get up and drive me...
Once we arrived at the parking area we hopped on the shuttle, aka a yellow school bus. Whoa. When was the last time I was on a school bus? Back in DH's and my dating days after a river float and yeah...that was fun! This on the other hand, was nerve racking! Time to get nervous! Elevated heart rate. Anxiety! Finally. We arrived at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort.
We both had been sipping on water and our bladders were calling out to us so we ran over (literally!) to the port-a-potty, where the lines weren't too long, and then quickly headed over to the bag check, where also, the line wasn't long either! Yes!
I was nervous about the bag check after all I'd read on runner's world but it was a quick and easy process.
We take our shots of goo, give ourselves cheers and sip some more water, then go line up. AH! Full tilt girl power surrounds us (it's really pretty great having a women's running series!!) and anxiety at an all time high. Feeling good though. Ready and eager to get started.
And we're off!
The first three miles pretty much flew by for me. Rolling hills and a beautiful start, cloudy, cool and around 55 degrees. Awesome! The trees are brilliant shades of green and I'm feeling good. We have a short area out on a major road around mile 4, which was pretty much flat. Mile 5 and 6 lead us into a gorgeous neighborhood and ACK! A huge hill at the turn around! Did I say ACK!? And did I say HUGE HILL?! That's also when the wind picked up a little and man, was that a tough hill. Heading back in was definitly harder. Took another goo about mile 8, and let me tell you, there's something mental for me about mile 8.5-9. I don't know what it is. It's like when I see that 10 mile sign I get revved up again. Then the biggest hill of all! CRAP! Almost got me down. Seriously.
Running is so much mental prowness it's unbelieveable!!
And then! The finish line! It weaved around the parking lot to the back of the resort and I sprinted in the last minute!
Success!
1:58:15 pace of 9:02
159th overall out of 1252
30th in my division of 178
Under 2 hours!
I really wanted a time of 1:57 at least; I somewhat wanted to match my first half time but, this was a HARD course! And I am very proud! I got my finishers necklace (cheezy as hell) slammed two waters and munched on some oranges while I waited to cheer Alma in!
And she rocked it! No training whatsoever, who the hell cares! 2:42 baby!
You Rock girl!!
We grabbed our bags and headed over for post-race goodies...mini-cupcakes, starbucks coffee, breakfast tacos...a hour wait for the massages (boo) and some pretty good vendors available. Live music down by the water, but of course you know where we went. The WINE AREA!! All you can drink! So we hit up a couple (ha ha) glasses of champagne and before I knew it we were back on the shuttle and headed to our car....where I managed to squeeze in a pit stop before heading southbound 35...ha ha
Overall, it was a great experience! I managed not to cry this time when I crossed the finish line even though I had eyes full of tears...I was very happy with the organization of the race and only would suggest a little better food at the end! The shirts are awesome and the necklace, though a little cheezy, is something I will wear, more than a metal anyway...Alma, Thank you for being a crazy, tough chick and a wonderful friend.
Beach to Bay next month and then one month off before training for Rock-n-Roll Marathon!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That's awesome Heidi. I think you're my hero :)
You're gonna have to tell me when you're next run is so I can cheer you in.