Wednesday, September 09, 2009

38 days out. and. this.

38 days out. I'm so freaked out, excited, anxious, nervous, scared and pumped up.

First 20 mile run was Saturday. I can't tell a lie. It. was. tough! This Saturday will be 14-16 (gotta see how I feel, keep reading!) Then another 18 and yes, a second 20. Sound excessive? I love it. I'm addicted. I want to be prepared and I will be ready!! *in my head the rocky theme is playing*

I really like 16 mile runs. It's a GREAT length. You run far enough to say. HA! I ran *16* miles today! BOO YA! But you still feel pretty good when you are done. And it's not THAT insane of an amount of miles. It's crazy, yes. But not insane.

I sometimes feel like Pinocchio when I'm running these crazy miles.
Like my arms and legs are attached to strings and someone's being lazy with the control. I feel like my hips and knees and elbows and ankles are all wobbly and wiggly and just may fall right off. I wonder what I look like when I feel like this? ha ha. It can't be good. I don't want to know! But who cares? I ran 20 miles Saturday. BOO YA!

and.

I ended up with this.




It didn't start out like this. of course! They never do. It was a big fluid filled sac, otherwise known as a blister. It hurt, but it was intact. I had a special blister band-aid on it, and it was fine. However in the excitement of a promise of a river trip, Maya stepped on my toe and the rest, my dear friends, is history!

I am taking GREAT care of it. (Luckily I have access to ALL kinds of wonderful wound care supplies) I haven't run since (gasp) Monday! I have it dressed and clean and elevated whenever I can. I'm taking Vitamin A, C, D, fish oil, zinc and a cocktail of tylenol and motrin and it's feeling pretty good. I took the dogs on a 1 mile walk tonight and wore running shoes for the first time since Monday. Not too bad. Not great. But not too bad.

Mentally. I'm freaking out.
I have worked SO hard and trained SO long for this to have an injury!
I just have to remind myself to take it one day at a time, take a deep breath.
and hell, it's only a blister.

No comments: